With the COVID-19 pandemic still raging on, many find themselves working from home (“WFH”) or amid another lockdown. And for some, staying home means staying active is becoming increasingly more challenging.
But if you’re like many others, inactivity can lead to worsening health conditions. So, to help, we’ve compiled six healthy tips to improve or maintain your physical fitness and overall health during the pandemic.
Remember, before starting a new exercise regimen, consult with a health professional you trust.
6 Health Tips to Help You Stay Physically Fit
1. Surround Yourself with Healthy Snacks
We all know how vital nutrition is to physical health. Eating well not only maintains weight but also contributes to your immune health and energy levels. When you are home all day, it may be tempting to graze. But calories can add up quickly. So, swap out cookies for banana bites or chips for crunchy celery or carrot sticks.
2. Go for a Walk
Walking is one of the easiest ways to maintain an active lifestyle. If you’re able to, go outside and walk around the neighbourhood. If not, walking in your backyard or within your home will have the same effect.
3. Stretch and Strengthen
Keeping your muscles strong and elastic is vital. In addition, stretching helps reduce aches and pain. You can get a full-body workout with strengthening exercises, with or without weights. Here are a few ways to target your arms, shoulders, back, core, and legs.
- Plank – Lay flat on your stomach and, keeping your back straight, bring yourself to a pushup position with your elbows and forearms flat on the ground. Hold for 30 seconds to one minute each time.
- Abdominal leg lifts – Laying flat on your back with your legs straight, lift both legs, making an L shape with your body, and lower them down. Don’t let your feet touch the ground before lifting your legs again.
- Bicep curls – With dumbbells in hand or canned goods as an alternative, bring your hands to your shoulders and lower them to your side without locking your elbows.
When strength training, it is essential you allow your muscles to rest. You can do this in between repetitions and by alternating the days you target each muscle group. Also, remember to stretch well after your workout.
4. Work Out with What You Have
You don’t need to go to the gym or have the equipment to get a great aerobic workout at home. So, here’s a list of physical exercises you can do around your house.
- Stairsteps – Walk or run up and down a set of stairs, a few minutes at a time.
- Yoga – No need to be a pro! Try a few poses, practise until you master them, and don’t forget to breathe.
- Dance – Try 30 minutes of continuous movement to upbeat songs, resting briefly between each tune.
- Clean – Bust out the broom, scrub down the shower, and vacuum the living room.
If you’re looking for a bit of creativity in your movement, combine these activities to create the ultimate circuit workout.
5. Join an Online Exercise Program
Sometimes, the best way to stay active is to get support and encouragement from others. For example, an online exercise program will help you connect with others who share common health challenges. Regular check-ins also establish a sense of accountability, helping you stick to the program and achieve desirable results.
6. See a Health Professional Virtually
If you suffer from a chronic health condition or need additional support maintaining your physical health, schedule an appointment with your provider. It’s unnecessary to avoid these vital appointments because of a lockdown, especially when many healthcare providers offer virtual services.
Our Chiro Brisbane offers chiropractic and musculoskeletal services that are essential to your physical wellbeing. Whether you are experiencing chronic pain, recovering from an injury, or need low-impact ways to improve your fitness, we are here for you. When you work with one of our expert chiropractors, you’ll receive personalised education and fitness routines you can do at home.
To schedule an appointment, contact us today.