Have you ever wondered how people are able to move in so many different ways? In large part, it’s due to the structure of our spinal columns. Here are some really fascinating facts about the spine…
5 amazing facts about the spine:
- Your spine is made up of 5 sections – cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacral and coccygeal.
- There are 33 vertebrae altogether in the spine. You can remember how many each segment has with the number 7-12-5-5(fused)-4(fused).
- Although we tend to think of the spine as just consisting of vertebrae, there many muscles and connective tissues that make up your spine. This is why our spines are so flexible, and allow us to move in so many different ways.
- There are connective tissues in the spine such as discs, which can expand and contract with the weight of gravity and act as a shock absorber. If you measure your height in the morning and evening you might be slightly shorter in the evening, after gravity has compressed your discs throughout the day.
- Your spine gets use to your habits (for example: sitting) and will in a way remember your position for daily habits. That’s why it’s so important to try to establish a habit of having good posture.
Our spines are integral to our daily lives, so how do we look after our spines?
If you experience any pain, discomfort, or stiffness in your spine, contact us to make an appointment. The sooner one of our chiropractors at Our Chiro Brisbane can assess your spine, the sooner we will be able to treat it. It’s best to address any pain and discomfort from your spine so you can get back to a pain free lifestyle.
Even if you are not currently experiencing any pain or discomfort and would like an appointment for a check-up or to discuss spinal health from a postural or training point of view, we look forward to hearing from you. At Our Chiro Brisbane, we will check your alignment, and ensure that any potential problems are identified and treated. If you have any questions please contact one of our friendly staff on 07 32570399.